The Daily 5 and CAFÉ Literacy approach is a framework for structuring literacy time so students develop lifelong habits of reading, writing, and working independently.
Students select from five authentic reading and writing choices, working independently toward personalized goals, while the teacher meets individual needs through whole-group and small-group instruction, as well as one-on-one conferring. These choices include:
- Read to Self,
- Work on Writing,
- Read to Someone,
- Listen to Reading, and
- Word Work.
The benefits of The Daily 5 and CAFÉ literacy approach for teachers and schools include the following:
- students develop independence, stamina, and accountability;
- improves schoolwide literacy achievement; and
- behaviours of independence transfer to other content areas.
- Reading and writing goals are personalised for each student.
- A lifelong enjoyment for reading.