1849 – 1999
- Mrs Marie Ryan appointed Principal.
- Increased enrolment, three classes of Prep taken. Building in progress during the year. This included two classrooms, a withdrawal room, a wet area, an open area, a library and a canteen.
- Garden established.
- Sr Kathleen Eveston appointed Principal.
- St Mary’s Whittlesea commenced in two portable classrooms in St Peter’s grounds.
- Building works were in progress for most of the year. In October, five classes moved into new rooms. Administration block was opened. The four original classrooms and the hall were refurbished.
- Numbers increased. First year for two Prep classes and an extra composite 2/3 class.
- Miss Maureen Donovan, first lay Principal appointed.
- Moved into new rooms. Prep enrolment approximately 44.
- Construction of three classrooms, open area, temporary staff room and toilet block.
- An extra staff member was required every year as the enrolment increased. During this period, the School used both the hall and portable classrooms.
- Sr Marie-Celine commenced the establishment of a School Library.
- Sr Marie-Celine Evans was appointed Principal. From this time onwards, the school population increased due to the Greenbrook estate and new housing development along High Street.
- Enrolment declined to 74.
- St Monica’s College used the hall whilst their own school was under construction.
- St Luke’s became a separate Parish.
- Two classrooms were built.
- Enrolment – 330. St Luke’s, Lalor opened.
- Enrolment gradually decreased as St Luke’s numbers grew.
- Student numbers – 214, including 67 migrants of various origins.
- Principal – Sr Matthias Crowe
- Bishop Scharmach MSC officially blessed two new classrooms and a cloakroom.
- Prep and Year One children were taught on the stage of the Hall due to overcrowding.
- Increased enrolment from Lalor/ Thomastown area due to expansion of housing estates beyond Reservoir and post-War migration.
- School enrolment remained fairly static, averaging around 38 pupils.
- Inspector CX O’Driscoll praised the Sisters’ efforts at the school.
- Good Samaritan Sisters commenced teaching at St Peter’s.
- Sr Conleth Sheehen was the first Principal.
- Children were taught in the Church until the first school building was ready.
- March 18th, Archbishop Daniel Mannix blessed and laid the foundation stone of the school hall building.
- Permission to sell school house land granted. (Little information is available during the period 1915-1934.)
- Presbytery built at a cost of $1,500.
- Epping declared a Parish.
- Bluestone school erected in Coulstock Street.
- St Peter’s Church was officially opened.
- Church land bought in Wedge Street.
- There were five teachers in the first four years of the school’s existence.
- A weatherboard school erected on Crown Grant Land in Coulstock Street at a cost of $250.
- Catholic Denominational School No. 238 commenced at the home of a parishioner.
- Darebin Creek Region (later Epping) became part of the newly proclaimed Parish of Pentridge (Coburg).
- First known reference to celebration of Mass in the area. Bishop Goold celebrated Mass at the home of Alexander McKillop. (Father of Mother Mary.)
We acknowledge the expertise of Mrs Maureen Doyle in collating this information.